The holidays are all about family, community, and sharing—and indulging in those glorious pies or buttery side dishes are offered at the holiday table. Being present and partaking in the festivities is actually a boon for your mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing. So, this year, let your health-foodie-hair down and relish each bite, knowing that this balanced five-day plan can get you back on track.
During the next five days, focus on the following five principles:
1. Anti-inflammatory foods: Combat harmful inflammation from sugar, dairy, and alcohol with ample fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, spices and quality fats (such as avocado, nuts, and seeds).
2. Fat + fiber + protein: Make sure this trifecta appears in your meals to keep your blood sugar balanced and your stomach satiated, so you don’t continue to overeat.
3. Hydration: Start each day with a glass of filtered water plus the juice of half of a lemon. Continue drinking water and herbal teas throughout the day, and coconut water after exercising.
4. Exercise: Get back into your usual fitness routine, or commit to at least 30 minutes a day of something that gets your heart rate going.
5. Balance: This meal plan is packed with flavorful dishes, including nightly treats, so you look forward to each day instead of feeling deprived. If you happen to stray off course, be gentle with yourself and remember that every meal is a new opportunity for your health.