Snack ideas are hard to think of for me. I found 24 great, satisfying ideas and had to share. Enjoy!
1.Try loading a few celery sticks with 1 tablespoon of any nut butter (almond, cashew, walnut).
2. Edamame makes a great high-protein snack (one cup of beans yields 17g of protein!). Buy them fresh and steam for about 6 minutes, or use the pre-cooked frozen variety and briefly microwave to defrost (about 2 minutes) before chowing down.
3. 1 medium apple, sliced, with 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
4. Hummus Dippers: Put 2 tablespoons of your favorite hummus in the bottom of the container, stick a handful of vegetable sticks (carrots, celery, and snow peas are a great mix) vertically in the hummus, screw on the top, and throw in a purse or gym bag for an easy, on-the-go, super-healthy snack.
5. Hard-Boiled Eggs: Inexpensive and loaded with nutrients, eggs are one of the best ways to get a healthy dose of protein. Try hard boiling and pre-peeling a dozen at the start of the week and throw one in a small Tupperware container each day for an easy on-the-go snack.
6. On the go? Grab a handful of almonds (10 or so) and enjoy alongside 1 cup of grapes.
7. Toast one slice of whole-wheat bread and top with 2 scrambled egg whites. Sprinkle with a dash of pepper and paprika.
8. Top a rice cake (we like the unsalted brown rice variety) with ¼ of an avocado, mashed. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and paprika.
9. Shake up 1 serving of Muscle GainTM with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.
10. Top ½ cup low-fat or nonfat cottage cheese with ½ cup of your favorite fresh fruit.
12. Top ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt with a handful of fruit (fresh or frozen) and a small drizzle of honey. Add 2 tablespoons of toasted oats for a protein-packed crunch!
13. Craving something sweet? Try a baked apple! Core a tennis-ball sized apple, dust with cinnamon, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes (or until tender but not mushy).
14. 1 cup of cubed cantaloupe and 1 low-fat string cheese
16. Jicama is a root veggie that touts 6 grams of fiber per cup. Peel and slice up 1 ½ cups, and dip into a mixture of 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon of mustard, and 1 teaspoon of honey.
17. Top ¼ cup nonfat yogurt with ½ cup old-fashioned oats and ½ cup fresh strawberries.
18. Yes, you can have your ice cream and stay on track! Simply peel a few bananas, stick them in the freezer, and let them hang out for a few hours, or until solid. Put the frozen bananas in the bowl of a food processor, and process until smooth. Finally, add in your choice of mix-ins like peanut butter or fresh strawberries. One serving = 1 banana.
19. Chow down on 10 baby carrots with 2 tablespoons of hummus.
20. Craving something crunchy? Give Kale Chips a try! Preheat oven to 375. Rinse and dry 1 large bunch of kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs. Rip the kale into large pieces, toss with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a large parchment lined baking sheet (careful not to overlap). Bake until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes, checking frequently (they can burn easily!).
21. How about an open-faced turkey sandwich? Toast 1 slice of whole-wheat bread and spread with 1 teaspoon of honey mustard. Top with 2 slices of deli turkey.
22. Slice up a cucumber & some cherry tomatoes – drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and top with fresh cracked pepper
23. Mash ¼ of an avocado on a rice cake and top with salsa for a zesty treat!
24. Combine ½ of a scoop of Muscle GainTM with ½ cup of nonfat greek yogurt – it’s packed with protein and tastes delicious!